Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) Superintendent Karen K. Garza invites parents, students, employees, and community members to share their thoughts about the school system during a listening tour that will begin this fall and continue in early 2014. Winter dates will be announced in early January.
Garza will be visiting every magisterial district with Fairfax County School Board members to hear attendees’ concerns and questions about school issues and priorities. She also will ask meeting participants to provide their feedback to questions that will be used to develop a Portrait of a Graduate that will provide a framework for a long-range strategic plan for FCPS.
The fall dates are as follows:
- Tuesday, October 15, 7 p.m.: Mount Vernon listening tour at Whitman Middle School, 2500 Parkers Lane, Alexandria, with Mount Vernon District School Board member Dan Storck.
- Monday, October 28, 6:30 p.m.: Hunter Mill listening tour at Sunrise Valley Elementary School, 10824 Cross School Road, Reston, with Hunter Mill District School Board member Pat Hynes.
- Wednesday, November 6, 7 p.m.: Mason District listening tour at Stuart High School, 3301 Peace Valley Lane, Falls Church, with Mason District School Board member Sandy Evans.
- Saturday, November 9, 10 a.m.: Providence District listening tour at Kilmer Middle School, 8100 Wolftrap Road, Vienna, with Providence District School Board member Patty Reed.
- Monday, November 25, 6:30 p.m.: Sully District listening tour at Rocky Run Middle School, 4400 Stringfellow Road, Chantilly, with Sully District School Board member Kathy Smith.
- Saturday, December 7, 10 a.m.: Dranesville District listening tour at Cooper Middle School, 977 Balls Hill Road, McLean, with Dranesville District School Board member Janie Strauss.
- Additional information is available online. Citizens interested in attending are asked to register online and indicate if an interpreter is needed.